Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Definitions


Wow I haven’t posted in a long time i'm sorry... Tonight I’m going to take this blog past Ag Ed, past FFA, into somewhere that many of you might feel uncomfortable going. Lately I have noticed a common theme coming up frequently in my everyday life through classes, friends, and even when I look at myself. That theme, topic, question or whatever you want to call it is what defines us as individuals? Do we as humans choose to let words such as, gay, straight, boy, girl, tomboy, feminist, liberal, conservative, or any other word define us? Is it the moments, how we act in those moments, or our decisions in everyday life that defines us? Or is it by the color of our skin or the clothes we choose to wear? Perhaps it’s the religion we associate with, the organization and associations we are a part of, or the kind of career we have? I will be the first one to say that none of these are bad ways to define an individual in fact I use each of these collectively to define myself, but my real question is this; should we be limited to only some of these categories or titles and the stereotypes they bring with them to secure our definition? Most people these day choose to put themselves into the only the categories they think they fit, instead of doing just the opposite and choosing to fit each of the titles into themselves. For instance if I choose to take the fact that I’m a girl and fit the stereotypical norms of being a girl into my life and let that define me as a human what would happen? Would I dress differently? Absolutely! Would I act differently? In some ways yes I would. Would I be scared of the things girls should be scared of? Yeah because remember I’m a girl and have to fit myself into the normal behaviors of a girl. If I just chose to let that simple four letter word and the stereotype of what that words means define me where would I be? No one knows because no one is just a girl. Everyone is more than just the words they use to define themselves just as they should be! No one should have to conform to the stereotypes that society pushes on each and every one of us. It all comes down to what you CHOOSE. So my question to you now is how will you choose what defines you? What does define you? What is YOUR definition?

 

 

My definition:

Jayden: (noun) Girl FFA member born on August, 4, 1994; outgoing, funny, courageous (for the most part) serves others, loves other people, wants to make a difference in the world through future students’, loves family and believes in doing the right thing even when it is hard. Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Caucasian, prefers to wear hoodies jeans and boots, loves hard work, wants to be an FFA Advisor, but for now will continue being a student. Thrives to fit in with every crowd but is sometimes shy and doubtful of herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment